[Mailman-Users] Adjusting Digest Settings

Drew Tenenholz drew.tenenholz at isid.org
Wed Aug 2 02:47:20 CEST 2006

Folks --

I thought I understood the digest settings, but...

I am currently serving up just one list with mailman, and it is set
for both English and Russian language localization.  The posts are in
Russian/Cyrillic.  This is working, but I am having trouble with the
digests.  I think the relevant settings are:

mailman version 2.1.4 (yes, the original one packaged with Mac OS
10.3 Server [aka Panther Server] )
digestable=yes
digest_size_threshold=150 (kb)
digest_send_periodic=yes

So, I expect a daily digest if there are any posts, and multiple
digests on a single day if there are a lot of posts.  But, I received
no digests for three days, even when there were posts.

The original size threshold was only 30 kb, which was producing
multiple daily digests.  I think this is due to the fact that the
archiving of Russian posts is actually storing each glyph as a
separate HTML entity code (e.g. $#85114;𔱷 etc.) which really
eats up space quickly.  So, I changed the size up to 5x30 since I had
received up to four digests in a single day.  Then, no digests went
out.  I have changed the setting to 60kb, but would appreciate any
insight into the correct settings.

Drew Tenenholz