[Mailman-Users] bouncing unwanted guests, et al

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 3 19:50:32 CEST 2006

Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:

>On a more Mailman-specific note, I have a list, 2ls at mydomain.com set up for
>my wife's business, and I constantly get bounce notices, from all sorts of
>strange people trying to post to her list. I likely receive 20 to 40 per
>day, just to her list. How do I deflect those, or is just the fact that
>Mailman is bouncing them and not letting through, evidence enough that it's
>working?

What are these notices? If they are "unrecognized bounces", they may
result from spam to the list-bounces address. If so, filtering before
they reach Mailman will help. You can also just turn off
bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner for the list. They can also be
unrecognized real bounces resulting from rejects or holds of posts by
non-members. Pre-filtering will help here too as will discarding
rather than holding or rejecting non-member posts if you want to go
that route.