[Mailman-Users] bouncing unwanted guests, et al

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 18:38:11 CEST 2006

On 4/3/06, Dr. Scott S. Jones <scott at fyrenice.com> wrote:
> Here's my dilemma. I get tons of SPAM/PHISHING attacks at my email inbox. I
> am tired of deleting so much crap every day.
>
> I have SA and clamav installed, but perhaps I don't have them configured.
> Would anyone here be willing to share their mix of tools and how they
> implement them to fight this.

This isn't really a place to ask this... but you already seem to know
that. Thus:
How you integrate SA and clamav into your system depends on what mail
server you're running. The easiest way (I think) is to do this through
Procmail (which still requires some mail server support). Procmail
lets you define rules for handling messages. E.g., you can have a rule
for all messages that scans them with clamav and spamassassin, and
then a rule for messages that SA marks as spam (i.e., adds a header
like X-Spam: Yes or somesuch) to be discarded.

> On a more Mailman-specific note, I have a list, 2ls at mydomain.com set up for
> my wife's business, and I constantly get bounce notices, from all sorts of
> strange people trying to post to her list. I likely receive 20 to 40 per
> day, just to her list. How do I deflect those, or is just the fact that
> Mailman is bouncing them and not letting through, evidence enough that it's
> working?
My suggestion above works for this as well. You can use procmail rules
along with spamassassin to pre-filter posts to your list and discard
any that are blatantly spam. That said, the fact that you're getting
the notifications, rather than getting spammy posts to the list, means
that mailman is doing its job in this regard. Any improvements you
make will just result in less spam for you.

--
- Patrick Bogen