[Mailman-Users] Private archive for list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Sep 29 23:00:50 CEST 2005

Darren G Pifer wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 12:33, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Is there a global mailbox file at
>> archives/private/telephone_logs.mbox/telephone_logs.mbox or just the
>> archives/private/telephone_logs.mbox/ directory without the file?
>
>There is an archives/private/telephone_logs.mbox file but no
>archives/private/telephone_logs.mbox directory.

I don't understand. How can the file exist if the directory that
contains it doesn't exist? Or are you saying that
archives/private/telephone_logs.mbox is a file, not a directory? If
so, what's in it? What do you see from

ls -la archives/private/telephone_logs.mbox

>> If the archives/private/telephone_logs.mbox/telephone_logs.mbox file
>> exists and contains the past posts to the list, then
>>
>> bin/arch --wipe list-name
>>
>> should build archives. If the .mbox file is there and the HTML archives
>> are not being created, there is probably a permissions issue.
>
>Do I need to do something to rebuild telephone_logs.mbox? Is it looks
>for a telephone_logs.mbox/telephone_logs.mbox file? The index.html file
>is empty. Shouldn't contain something?

bin/arch --wipe telephone_logs

will look for archives/private/telephone_logs.mbox/telephone_logs.mbox
by default and will fail if it's not found. There is an option to
specify a different file. See bin/arch --help.

If you don't have the global .mbox file containing all the past posts,
then you probably don't have anything to rebuild it from (unless you
have the posts collected somewhere outside of Mailman), and you have
no past archives.

There may be a permissions issue or something similar preventing
archiving. Do you see anything relevant in Mailman's 'error' log?