[Mailman-Users] 3 questions

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Sep 29 03:41:24 CEST 2005

Victor Komarov wrote:

>I would like to do better working my Mailman 2.1.4 list.
>
>1. Is it possible to save messages with attachment in archives?

Normally, messages are processed by the 'scrubber' which saves
attachments in separate files and replaces them in the archives with
links to the files. Is this not happening in your case?

>2. My list is russian speaking.
>So, archive page
>http://schooner.coastlandtech.com/pipermail/speleo-info
>is in KOI-8R Character Coding.
>But each times they appear in brouser in ISO-8859-1 and user must handly to change in brouser encoding to KOI-8R.
>
>Do you know the way to solve this problem?

This appears to be a problem with your web server configuration. The
archive index page contains the tag

  <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=koi8-r">

but browsers don't appear to honor it. I think this is because the web
server is providing its own

header which is overriding it.

>3. When I try to get the help file, I can't to get it by email...
>Come back message like this, without help file.

The response from the help command comes back as a multipart/mixed
message with a text/plain part containing the actual help text and a
message/rfc822 part containing the original mail to the -request
address.

I sent a message to <speleo-info-request at speleoinfo.org> with subject
help and no message body and I got back two replies. One reply was
from speleo-info-bounces at speleoinfo.org with subject (in english)
"Auto-response for your message to the "Speleo-info" mailing list" and
no message body.

The other reply was also from speleo-info-bounces at speleoinfo.org and
had subject "????????? ????????? ????? ??????" which I guess is the
russian translation of "The results of your email commands". This
message was multipart/mixed. The first subpart was

and was the help text - mostly in russian, but with the text for
confirm, password and who in english.

The second subpart was

and was a copy of my original message.

If all you are seeing in the response is your original message, this
appears to be a problem with your MUA (e-mail client).