[Mailman-Users] AOL Whitelist

Martin Dennett md69 at md69.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 22:15:23 CEST 2005

Jon Harris wrote:

>Hi List
>
>After about a year of trying, I think I have finally got AOL to
>whitelist my (subscription only!) mailing list :-(
>
>http://postmaster.aol.com/cgi-bin/whitelist.pl (if anyone is interested)
>
>In the mailing list I have around 1500 members with aol addresses with
>their 'nosend' ticked. Obviously, after repeated bounces mailman has
>given up trying to send it to them.

And after having had my own (subscription only) mailing list added to
their whitelist, I have been in constant contact with the Mail Delivery
Analyst of AOL UK AntiSpam operations as that ISP's accounts still seem
to bounce constantly. After analysing over 100 ov my lists' mails and
telling me what IP needed adding, he then had the cheek to ask me what
IP address I'd added! At the moment, he's away on holiday (so his "I'm
out of the office and I don't want to deal with your mail auto-responder
tells me) so I'm rubbing my hands with glee in anticipation of next
Monday morning....

Oh, and just as an aside, myself and my co-moderators have given very
serious thought to banning AOL addresses on our list. Not a decision
we've taken lightly, but after 3 such instances with the same ISP in
less than 5 months (and no othe ISP giving us anywhere near the amount
of trouble that they have), it's time for action.

Regards

MD