[Mailman-Users] subscription via -request

Jim Savoy savoy at uleth.ca
Wed Sep 21 23:57:53 CEST 2005

Hi all,

      I was wondering if there is a way to silently subscribe people to a
list via the -request command processor (ie sending email commands to
listname-request)?

   If I send the command:

    subscribe password nodigest address=janedoe at hotmail.com

it works fine, but janedoe at hotmail.com is then sent a message asking
that she
confirm the subscription by clicking a link. Our users are confused
enough as it
is, and we would like to avoid this step. I realize that the
confirmation step was
created to prevent any old yahoo from subscribing people to lists
without their
consent, but how would any old yahoo know what the list password is? Seems
like an unnecessary extra layer of protection.

We are running Mailman 2.1.5.  Thanks!

 - jim -

PS I realize that we can silently subscribe people via the GUI and the
command
      line, but we wish to do it via email and -request processor only.