[Mailman-Users] strange bounce message

jc dill lists05 at equinephotoart.com
Fri Sep 16 21:25:03 CEST 2005

Anne Ramey wrote:
> A couple of people have sent replies to one of my lists today and
> several of the messages bounced like this:
>
>        ===============================================
>  >               THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY
>  >           YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE
>  >       ===============================================
>  >
>  > A temporary error occured while delivering to the following address(es):
>  >
>  >   <pfenno at ncees.org>: 454 TLS not available, must be connected via TCP
>  >
>  > I will continue trying to send the message until it is delivered or
>  > expires.
>
> They've replied without incident before.  It looks like they have
> changed something on their end to require the message to be delivered
> TLS, which the server this message is attempting to deliver to does not
> support, and that there is nothing I can do...is that correct.  What can
> I tell the sender to do to prevent this? Any pointers would be
> appreciated.  I've been using mailman for a couple of years and haven't
> run into this before.

This is an smtp mail server error which has nothing to do with mailman.
  It looks like the message is coming from their local smtp server and
is saying that their smtp server can't reach your smtp server.  If the
people who are getting these bounce messages are all sending from
different servers then the problem is with your smtp server.

jc