[Mailman-Users] Complaints about MM 2.1.6b4

Darren G Pifer dpifer at odu.edu
Thu Sep 8 15:43:25 CEST 2005

Thanks for the info. I will pass this onto the list admin.

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 10:29, Brad Knowles wrote:

> >  The newest problem is:  Because Classroom is a shared email account, it
> >  shows the "real sender" - who is a member of the list with a check-mark
> >  in the MOD box, so it holds the email and waits for administrator
> >  approval.
>
> 	Make sure that your MUA properly uses the desired sender address
> as both the envelope sender and in the header "From:" and "Sender:"
> fields.
>
> 	Or, go into your mm_cfg.py file and change what fields you look
> at for determining list membership.  If you don't have explicit
> settings for this, see the examples from Defaults.py, then copy them
> over to mm_cfg.py and change as necessary for your installation.

These are settings for envelope sender from Defaults.py which is looking
like it is doing the right thing.

# The envelope sender is set by the SMTP delivery and is thus less
easily
# spoofed than the sender, which is typically just taken from the From:
header
# and thus easily spoofed by the end-user.  However, sometimes the
envelope
# sender isn't set correctly and this will manifest itself by postings
being
# held for approval even if they appear to come from a list member.  If
you
# are having this problem, set this variable to No, but understand that
some
# spoofed messages may get through.
USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER = No

How can we confirm that the MUA is doing the right thing? Would this be
one of the mailers sendmail would be using, like mlocal?

Darren
Old Dominion University