[Mailman-Users] How to change list name

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Sep 3 19:04:52 CEST 2005

Zoran Dzelajlija wrote:

>Here's a checklist used here:

<snip>

> - cd /var/local/mailman (or wherever your installation is)

I think you want another step here (I see it's not in the original post
either)

- mv archives/private/foo.mbox/foo.mbox \
  archives/private/foo.mbox/bar.mbox

It's not critical. If you leave it out, you wind up with a foo.mbox
file containing pre-rename posts and a bar.mbox file containing
post-rename posts, but that complicates archive rebuilding in the
future and searching if you use the .mbox files for that.

> - mv archives/private/foo.mbox archives/private/bar.mbox
> - mv archives/private/foo archives/private/bar
<snip>

>There must be a reason why the archives ought to be recreated, but
>I can't seem to remember it now.  I don't do that because we have
>lots of mails without the Date header in the archives, and the
>they all get the current date on archive recreation.

The archives are full of links to the list's listinfo page. HTML pages
created after the move will contain the correct link to the new page,
but older pages will contain a link to the old page which no longer
exists. In general, the easiest way to fix this is to rebuild the
archive after the move, although in your case this may not be true.