[Mailman-Users] How to change list name

Zoran Dzelajlija jelly+mailman-users-via-gmane at srk.fer.hr
Sat Sep 3 18:29:06 CEST 2005

Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
[...]
> The post at
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-August/046316.html
> gives more detail on how you might actually do this including
> archives, but it does neglect to mention the aliases.

Here's a checklist used here:

 0. Stop Mailman!

 - (2.1 only) mailmanctl stop
 - disable the crontab lines (at least qrunner if still on Mailman 2.0),
   check if something's still running.
 - disable the web interface.

 1. Get hands dirty:

 - cd /var/local/mailman (or wherever your installation is)
 - mv archives/private/foo.mbox archives/private/bar.mbox
 - mv archives/private/foo archives/private/bar
 - [ -h archives/public/foo.mbox ] && \
     rm archives/public/foo.mbox \
     ln -sf ../archives/private/bar.mbox archives/public
 - [ -h archives/public/foo ] && \
     rm archives/public/foo \
     ln -sf ../archives/private/bar archives/public
 - mv lists/foo lists/bar
 - change the real_name attribute, eg.
   2.0:  echo "real_name = 'bar'" > burek
         bin/config_list -i burek bar
         rm burek
   2.1:  like above, or use withlist.
         bin/withlist bar
         >>> m.real_name='bar'
         >>> m.Lock()
         >>> m.Save()
         >>> m.Unlock()
         >>> ^D
 - ls -la data/heldmsg-foo-* # look out for heldmsg-foo-otherlist-*
   for i in data/heldmsg-foo-*
   do
     mv $i `echo $i|sed s/foo/bar/`
   done
 - locks/foo.lock -> locks/bar.lock
 - fix aliases

 2. restart Mailman qrunner:

 - restore crontab
 - /etc/init.d/mailman start
 - enable the web interface

 3. Test:

 - check admin GUI (try changing case in real_name), archives,
   sending mail to list, and headers of received mail for unexpected
   behaviour.

 - TODO: (2.0 only) data/pending_subscriptions.db

There must be a reason why the archives ought to be recreated, but
I can't seem to remember it now.  I don't do that because we have
lots of mails without the Date header in the archives, and the
they all get the current date on archive recreation.

Regards,
Zoran