[Mailman-Users] Case sensitive problem w/ list serve

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Sep 2 18:08:36 CEST 2005

At 8:56 AM -0400 2005-09-02, Darren G Pifer wrote:

>        One of our list administrators pointed out a problem with one of
>  his list serves with mailman. He tried to send mail to his list
>  Telecourse at list but it did not go through but when he sent to
>  telecourse at list the mail did go through. This problem did
>  not appear in our earlier version of mailman 2.0.13 but
>  now appears it does in our current version, mailman 2.1.6b4.

	There are two aspects to this problem.

	One is in the MTA -- it may or may not do case folding on the
recipient name.  This is also an issue depending on how Mailman is
integrated into your MTA -- is that through /etc/aliases or some
other mechanism?

	The other aspect is Mailman itself.  Mailman doesn't care about
case, but will preserve it with respect to the names that it is
configured to know about -- either for a given list, or for a given
recipient or set of recipients.

	Has your MTA changed?  Have you changed your method of
integrating Mailman into the MTA?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755