[Mailman-Users] Qmail trouble

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 24 19:04:27 CEST 2005

Dwight Tovey wrote:

>Par Leijonhufvud said:
>> I'm trying to get mailman running under FreeBSD 5.4.  I'm using qmail as
>> the MTA, and appears to be unable to make it actually deliver any mail.
<snip>
>> No attempts to deliver mail to the list members, but the mails appear in
>> the list archive.
>>
>> I *think* I've followed all instructions on
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/qmail-issues.html,
>> but must have missed something.
>>

>Look in the Mailman error log: <mailmaninstallpath>/logs/error.
>
>I was seeing something like that when I had MM misconfigured.  Qmail was
>delivering the message, but MM was choking.  The MM error log showed me
>what was going on (once Mark Sapiro gave me some hints on how to read it).

(thanks)

In this case, the mail gets to the archive so it has been delivered to
Mailman and processing has gotten fairly far along, but the mail isn't
going back out.

Does any mail go out, e.g. subscription confirmations or other notices?
If not, it is likely an outgoing mail problem. Look in Mailman's smtp
and smtp-failure logs in addition to the error log.

If some mail goes out, but not posts, maybe everyone is on digest and
no digest has been sent yet.

Also, go to the FAQ wizard
and search for 'troubleshooting' or 'no mail' (without quotes).