[Mailman-Users] Bounce processing

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 24 18:27:12 CEST 2005

kate griffiths wrote:

>Can anyone give me some advice about the bounce processing function of the
>mailman lists?  Can I configure the list so that it does not automatically
>disable/unsubscribe people for excessive bounces?  Should this be done by
>switching to 'no' in the section that asks 'Should mailman perform automatic
>bounce processing for the list'?

Yes.

You could also set bounce_info_stale_after to zero. This would have the
advantage of continuing to log the bounces in Mailman's bounce log,
while discarding yesterday's bounces so the threshold is never
reached. If you can't view the log, this probably doesn't matter.

>Does this have any adverse effects other
>than not telling me when a message does not reach certain members of the
>list?

Yes. If you continue to mail dead addresses, some ISPs will eventually
start blocking all your mail.

If you are having problems with people being disabled who "shouldn't"
be, say because they tend to have full mailboxes for long periods, it
is better to adjust the various bounce processing parameters for a
satisfactory result by perhaps increasing the threshold and the number
of warnings.