[Mailman-Users] to verp or not to verp....

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Oct 23 23:37:57 CEST 2005

Doc Schneider wrote:

>I need some suggestions/help with how to setup VERP wih MM 2.1.5 and
>Sendmail 8.13.4
>
>I've read all the FAQs and they do help except they fail to give an
>example sendmail aliases entry if one is using VERP. I may have missed
>it and if so a pointer would be helpful.

That's because aliases don't change.

>From http://www.sendmail.org/m4/mailers.html

The local mailer accepts addresses of the form "user+detail", where the
"+detail" is not used for mailbox matching but is available to certain
local mail programs.

In other words, when the bounce is returned to

listname-bounces+membername=memberdomain at mailmandomain

the incoming sendmail will deliver it just as it would have if it were
addressed to

listname-bounces at mailmandomain

so you don't need any special aliases other than the normal ones.

>The reason I want to use this is I've got a list with a whole boatload
>of AOL people on it and after getting reported as spam to AOL 16 times
>the other night--guy who did this just said he hit the wrong button--the
>list owner  decided to just place her aol people on digest.. only there
>is no way to "personalize" the digests. And am now getting a few reports
>from aol's feedback loop that are this same list in the digest vesion,
>and of course now there is no way to figure out who is doing the reporting.
>
>If it were up to me I'd just ban all of aol from using the lists we run
>here... but guess that is not too realistic.

You're not alone in this. See for example the thread beginning at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-November/032604.html

>So, anyone have a recommendation and a snip of a properly done VERP
>entry from mm.cfg and (Sendmail) aliases.

In order to get VERP-like bounce reporting on digests, you need

VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

and as long as you're doing that, you might as well add

VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes

so essentially everything gets VERPed.