[Mailman-Users] embedded hostname in lists confirmation message

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 10 19:09:35 CEST 2005

dave at umiacs.umd.edu wrote:

>It seems that changing the "Host name this list prefers for email"
>to just the domain name will fix this. But will this  conflict with
>anything else? If not, is there an easy name to script it for all
>lists using withlists (ie what is the raw withlist command)?

I must be missing something in your description of your configuration,
but I don't understand why you are only concerned about the email
domain in the subscription confirmation message. Don't you have the
same problem with, for example, the list posting address on the
listinfo page, the addresses in the RFC 2369 headers, etc.?

In any case, there may be an issue in Mailman 2.1.5 and below if you
just change a list's host_name and that host name is not an email host
in an add_virtualhost() line in mm_cfg.py, because the
Mailman.Archiver.Archiver.GetBaseArchiveURL() method inverts the
VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary and looks up the list's host_name to get the
corresponding url host. This is not an issue in 2.1.6 because it is
done differently there, and in any case, it only affects public
archives and only if there is more than one url host (i.e. if there
actually are virtual hosts.

Is there some reason why you don't want to change DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST in
mm_cfg.py? If you were to do this, you could then run fix_url.py (via
withlist) to change all the host_name attributes.

If you really want to just change the host_name for all lists via
withlist and make no other changes, you can make a file, say
changehost.py in the bin/ directory containing (Warning!! untested use
at your own risk)

def changehost(mlist, hostname):
    if not mlist.Locked():
        mlist.Lock()
    mlist.host_name = hostname
    mlist.Save()
    mlist.Unlock()

and then run

bin/withlist -a -r changehost new_host_name