[Mailman-Users] embedded hostname in lists confirmation message

dave at umiacs.umd.edu dave at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Oct 10 17:52:51 CEST 2005

To protect our listserver, we disallow smtp to it from outside of our
domains and push all mailman addresses (list-request, list-admin...)
to our border.  People then can address our lists as LIST at FQDN.
Our borders have all the addresses for all the lists and, being within
our domain, are able to forward the mail to the listserver.
The prefered hostname is a cname that points to the actual host.

This causes problem for those trying to subscribe themselves as
the confirmation message tells them to reply to this address which
has the restricted host address embedded within.  Clicking on the
webpage however does work. So one hacky way to fix this would be
to rework the confirmation message to only include information about
the weblink.

It seems that changing the "Host name this list prefers for email"
to just the domain name will fix this. But will this  conflict with
anything else? If not, is there an easy name to script it for all
lists using withlists (ie what is the raw withlist command)?

TIA

  David Stern                                    University of Maryland
            Institute for Advanced Computer Studies