[Mailman-Users] Duplicate mailings!!!

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Oct 7 18:36:00 CEST 2005

Sy Balsen wrote:

>My list is set up as announce only and is hosted by a commercial web hosting
>company. The problem is, every post is received in many duplicates (up to 11
>or 12!) by all the recipients! Anyone have any idea what might be going on
>and how to solve the problem?

You could check the Mailman 'smtp' and 'smtp-failure' logs for clues,
but it is likely that Mailman is not involved in this. It is more
likely an outgoing MTA issue.

In the past, I had a report from one user who occasionally received
duplicates and once even a triplicate of a post. This appeared to be
an issue between the outgoing MTA (sendmail, I don't know the version)
and his receiving MTA. For unrelated reasons, our hosting service
moved our domain to a different hardware box that had a newer version
of sendmail, and the problem went away.