[Mailman-Users] reply-to header missing..

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Oct 4 18:23:03 CEST 2005

Lawrence Jones wrote:

>In the general options of each list you can set
>
>"Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list address
>(Removes From, Sender and Reply-To fields)"
>
>To "Yes"
>
>It hides the sender's address though, so if you want to keep that you
>could try setting:
>
>"Where are replies to list messages directed?"
>
>To "This list"
>
>Tho read the the recommendations for that option as it strips any
>reply-to from the sender.

Actually, it doesn't strip the sender's reply-to unless either
anonymous_list or first_strip_reply_to is set to Yes, but do read the
information at the (Details for reply_goes_to_list) link as stripping
of reply-to is only a small part of why this is considered bad.

Also note, unless you have a recent CVS, the link in the details to the
Reply-To Munging Considered Useful document needs to be corrected to
http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml

Also see the reply by Hannah in this thread. I.e., use list-reply if
available in your mail client or group-reply/reply-all otherwise.