[Mailman-Users] http://mm_cfg_has_not_been_edited_to_set_host_domains/

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Oct 4 16:51:42 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 06:35 -0700, Fred H Olson wrote:

> I'm not the list manager of that list but I've corresponded with them and
> they said that the "host_name" item (3rd from bottom of Mailman "General
> Options" admin / config page) has been set to servas.org which seems
> correct.
>
> What does
> http://mm_cfg_has_not_been_edited_to_set_host_domains/
> mean?

It means mm_cfg.py has not been edited to set the host domains ;-)

I recognize this from the Red Hat mailman rpm installation. There is a
mailman configuration file (/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py which is
sym linked to /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py). This the file that is supposed to
be edited for site preferences as explained
in /usr/share/doc/mailman-*/INSTALL.REDHAT.

The mm_cfg file as shipped attempts to start up without needing any site
configuration to make installation easier. It attemts to figure out the
site FQDN (Fully Qualified Doman Name, e.g. my.company.com) and sets the
mailman domain parameters accordingly. If it can't figure out your FQDN
it sets the domans to the string you see above (which I had hoped would
be more or less self explanatory as an indicator you have to manually
edit the file).
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>