[Mailman-Users] Subscribe/Unsubscribe remotely by admin

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Nov 30 18:07:00 CET 2005

Rae wrote:

>Hello Tomica,
>
>Address email to:   yourlist-request at yourdomain.com
>
>Command lines in the body of your message (no blank lines before):
>
>subscribe adminpasswd digest address=someemail at somedomain.com
>subscribe adminpasswd nodigest address=someemail at somedomain.com

This doesn't do what you want. What it does do (assuming
subscribe_policy includes confirm) is enter a pending subscription in
digest/nodigest mode for someemail at somedomain.com with initial user
password of adminpasswd and sends a confirmation email to
someemail at somedomain.com.

See below for more info.

>At 04:58 AM 11/30/2005, Tomica Crnek wrote:
>>I would like to ask if it is possible for an administrator of a list
>>who knows the list admin password to subscribe/unsubscribe someone
>>remotely. Either via email to mailman or via some other interface,
>>but not the web interface.
>>
>>I would like to make one automatic process to send a command to
>>mailman to subscribe someone or remove him from the list. I don't
>>want the mailman to send email with confirmation request to this
>>user, but to subscribe/unsubscribe him instantly and just send him
>>the info about it after that.
>>
>>I hope this is possible, thanks in advance!

It is not possible by email. There are comand line tools
bin/add_members and bin/remove_members that can do what you want if
you can run them from your automated process, or you can 'post' to the
admin mass (un)subscribe function as discussed in the archives of this
list, e.g., the thread beginning at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-December/041209.html>.