[Mailman-Users] VS: Uhhuh, my GID blues goes on... :(

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Nov 26 04:02:19 CET 2005

Niemi Hannu wrote:

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>> As I indicate above, this group checking is done in the
>> wrapper which is not per se list specific. The list specific
>> part is the aliases that invoke the wrapper. Thus, I think it
>> is the aliases that must be different, and since the expected
>> group is built into the wrapper, I think there must be two wrappers.
>
>Hello Mark (and others as well)
>
>Thank you for your posting which seemed to explain the problem, but....
>
>Here came two examples from the aliases-file:
>
>1) Newly created list, which needs postfif-gid:
>
># STANZA START: hn11240914-l
># CREATED: Thu Nov 24 08:50:35 2005
>hn11240914-l:             "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post hn11240914-l"
<rest snipped>
># STANZA END: hn11240914-l
>
>With mail-gid 65533 gives: =
>

><hn11240914-l at listserv.kuntaliitto.fi>: Command died with status 2:
>    "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post hn11240914-l". Command output:
>    Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 65533, GOT gid 67.
>
>2) Vintage list, needing nobody-group:
>
># STANZA START: saukkotesti-l
># CREATED: Thu Nov 24 10:09:23 2005
>saukkotesti-l:             "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post saukkotesti-l"
<rest snipped>
># STANZA END: saukkotesti-l
>
>With mail-gid 67 gives:
>
><saukkotesti-l at listserv.kuntaliitto.fi>: Command died with status 2:
>    "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post saukkotesti-l". Command output:
>    Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 67, GOT gid 65533.
>
>Now, they seem exactly similar to me wrapper-wise :(
>
>With "proper" gids both process the mail to the intended recipients

If saukkotesti-l is a "vintage list", why are it's aliases created Thu
Nov 24 10:09:23 2005. Where were the aliases before yesterday? Are
they still there?

I note that you say in this case you have mail-gid (the file I presume)
set to 67 and you "GOT gid 65533". Now, I'm not sure how SuSE does
this, but I *think* SuSE modifies the wrappers so that the expected
group is not complied in but rather read from the
/etc/mailman/mailman.mail-gid file. If this is correct, it is
consistent with the messages above which say that Postfix is invoking
the wrapper as GID 65533 for "vintage lists" and as GID 67 for "new
lists".

This would seem to say that postfix is using two different GIDs to
invoke the wrapper depending on the list (or, if this is the case, on
where the list's aliases come from). I think you need to carefully
look over your Postfix configuration and see if it might be getting
mailman aliases from two different places and using different GIDs for
the different places.

It now looks to me like Postfix is the problem, but I don't know
Postfix configuration enough to tell you what to look for.