[Mailman-Users] setting up mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Nov 20 01:48:15 CET 2005

Mike Wharton wrote:

>I am running mailman on a server whose name is s1.######.net.au
>I have a virtual server on this machine - ######.com.au
>
>I want the user to use www.######.com.au/mailman when accessing the lists
>

>Is this correct?
>
>In the httpd/conf.d I have placed the s1.hostnet.net.au
>In the mm_cfg.py file set place DEFAULT_URL_HOST as ######.com.au
>                                DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST as ######.com.au
>
>After creating the new list I place all alias information in the etc/aliases
>file

If the only domain you are serving with Mailman is the '######.com.au'
domain, DEFAULT_URL_HOST should be 'www.######.com.au' and
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST should be '######.com.au'. If this is what they are
in Defaults.py (because you specified them to configure), then you
don't need anything else in mm_cfg.py. If one or both are different in
Defaults.py, put all of the following in mm_cfg.py

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.######.com.au'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = '######.com.au'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

The various mailman related apache configuration directives can be
applied globally or just to the www.######.com.au host.

If the DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST were not correctly set
when you created the mailman list, the list attributes derived from
them will be wrong. The usual way to fix this is with bin/fix_url.py
run through bin/withlist. The command to do this for the mailman list
is

bin/withlist -l -r fix_url mailman

If they were correctly set, even if you didn't have
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear() and add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST,
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST) in mm_cfg.py, the list is probably OK.