[Mailman-Users] migrating lists from 2.0.13-7 to 2.1.5-33

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 19:20:37 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 12:58 -0500, Axel Haenssen wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I am currently running mailman on an older computer. OS is Redhat Linux
> 7.3, Mailman Version 2.0.13-7
>
> I would like to move all the lists to another, newer server running
> RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 and Mailman 2.1.5-33 installed
>
> Could anyone tell me which folders from the old version I have to move
> where? Do I have to convert the old /etc/aliases file to the new
> settings? Can I just move the archives??

There is a script, /usr/lib/mailman/bin/update, which is supposed to
update from a prevous version to the current version. I have never used
it so I cannot testify as to how well it works. Also note the 2.1.5
versions have slightly different directory locations than does the
standard upstream mailman. A quick look at the update script suggests
that as long as you install the new version and run update from that it
should use the new directories because it will be reading the directory
locations from the new Defaults.py file.

The aliases from 2.0 are not the same as used in 2.1. Don't move them
over, instead use /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases to generate a new set
of aliases.

Please read the file /usr/share/doc/mailman-*/INSTALL.REDHAT for Red Hat
specific tips and to learn that 2.1 has a different way of being run
than 2.0 did, you'll now start mailman as a regular service. Cron will
be taken care of automatically.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>