[Mailman-Users] Formatting the Subject-field in other languages

Rene Hertell mailman at hertell.com
Tue Nov 1 10:12:39 CET 2005

Hi all,

I have been searching for some time now a way in cleaning up the
subject-field when people send messages with email-clients that use
different locale that English, but I could not find any solution.

I've got the impression that Mailman cleans multiple Re's and Fw's from
the subject-line (and not the email-client), but now when a user sends
an message with an email-client that uses other abbreviations as the
English ones, they just stick there. This is an example of a subject
sent in a Finnish mailing-list:

[HUV] VS:  VS:  VS:  VS:  VS:  VS:  VS:  VS:  Järvenpää

So, Here you see that as normal Re: is instead VS:

I tried also to dig in the Mailman-code, but as python is not so
familiar to me, I could not figure out in what place this "Subject-line"
clean-up is situated.

I'm running Mailman 2.1.6 on a Debian-woody server.

Best Regards,

René