[Mailman-Users] ISO-8859-1/Latin1 vs UTF-8

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Nov 1 09:53:23 CET 2005

    >> HTML META tag.

    Bernd> I don't understand it either but it is so.

One reason is that the server may very well translate the encoding
based on negotiation with the client.  (I guess you could argue that
it should remove the charset attribute from the META tag if it does.)

A second reason is that admins will occasionally translate encodings
and not even be aware that some users who are too smart for their own
good have used META tags.

    Bernd> BTW I usually disable the feature in the webserver config.

While I think the standard got the precedence right, this feature
should be disabled by default.