[Mailman-Users] Regexp help - Matching Subjects to Hold Posts in Mailman 2.0.11

David Powell tech at yanq.org.au
Tue May 31 07:44:00 CEST 2005

Thanks for the help, to respond...

> Life will be much easier for this kind of task if you upgrade to
> Mailman 2.1.x; 2.1.6 is current.

Agreed - I don't administer the server, but understand we're waiting for
the new stable release of Debian (any day now).

> Really, you should invest in Jeffrey Friedl's book, _Mastering Regular
> Expressions_.  I'm sure there are many on-line tutorials, too.  This
> is not the channel for questions that arise because you don't
> understand how to construct a regular expression.  For now, try
>
> subject:[ \t]*\[SPAM
> subject:[ \t]*\\[SPAM

Neither of these worked.  I'll take a look at that book though, ta.
Also I understand that this isn't a regexp help list, and sorry if I've
wasted some bandwidth.

However, in my defence, prior to posting I did look at quite a few
online tutorials, and then tested out a few expressions on some text
files.  When I found a few expressions that worked I used these in
mailman(without luck obviously).

Following Stephen's suggestions, I've tried a few more.  What I did was
place the following lines (among others) in a text file.  As I'm not
sure exactly how the subject header is formatted, I wanted something
that would find all off the following:

subject:	[SPAM 07.49] Stop your computer from crashing