[Mailman-Users] How do the spammers do it?

Mike Avery mavery at mail.otherwhen.com
Sat May 14 20:12:16 CEST 2005

Someone else said they are pulling their hair out.  Me too!

This has happened several times - I create a new list for a local
group.  I add the users to it myself.  I make the list public in the
Mailman/listinfo web page.  And within 2 weeks, the list starts getting
spammed.

How do they get the list name?  Is there any way to hide it better?
I've been lucky that none of the spam has actually made it to my lists,
but it's annoying to have to wade through the blocked messages to
separate the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks,
Mike