[Mailman-Users] 'Group mismatch error' problem

Kevin Ratcliffe kev at bolton-sfc.ac.uk
Thu Mar 24 14:12:35 CET 2005

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Kevin Ratcliffe wrote:
>

>>Can anybody help me please.  I've installed Mailman as per the install
>>instructions.  I am using exim as my MTA.
>>I configured mailman with './configure --with-mail-gid=mail
>>--with-cgi-gid=apache'
>>I installed exim with the user and group 'mail'.
>>I followed the instructions to configure exim for mailman.
>>My MTA seems to be working fine.
>>But I cant seem to get any mailing lists to work.
>>I can sbuscribe to groups but never get an email reply.
>>
>>when I do a '$MM_PREFIX/mail/mailman post', I get:
>>
>>Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
>>wrapper script to be executed as group "mail", but
>>the system's mail server executed the mail script as
>>group "root".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
>>script as group "mail", or re-run configure,
>>providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=root'.
>>

>This happens when you run the command as user/group root. What happens
>when Exim runs it? If exim (or you) runs it as group 'mail', it should
>be fine.
>

>>when I check Mailmans smtp-failure log, I get:
>>
>>Mar 23 14:27:36 2005 (1390) Low level smtp error: (111, 'Connection
>>refused'), msgid: <mailman.0.1111586446.1267.mailman at magic.bolton-sfc.ac.uk>
>>Mar 23 14:27:36 2005 (1390) delivery to kev at bolton-sfc.ac.uk failed with
>>code -1: (111, 'Connection refused')
>>
>>I am assuming that exim cannot do the delivery because it cannot run the
>>'$MM_PREFIX/mail/mailman post' script.
>>

>No, that is probably not the reason since the '$MM_PREFIX/mail/mailman
>post' script is run for an incoming post and the smtp-failure message
>above is related to an attempt by Mailman to send some message
>(generated by mailman judging from the msgid) to you. Mailman is
>unable to connect to the outgoing MTA via SMTP. If you haven't changed
>SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT from their defaults in Defaults.py, this means
>Mailman can't connect to 'localhost' port 25. This is probably an Exim
>or system configuration issue, not a Mailman problem per se.
>
>--
>Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,
>San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

Thanks for your help Mark.

You were right about the 'connection refused' error.  I couldn't telnet
to my localhost on port 25 as we have a mail virus scanner on that port,
which I'd forgotten about, which needed a bit of messing around with.
Now I get replies from mailman.

Alas, I still cannot post to the list I'd created.  I think I' getting
there though.  I try to use mailing lists and usenet as a last resort
and try to figure these things out for myself.  I prefer being pointed
in the right direction.

Thanks again

Kev