[Mailman-Users] Archives missing on newly-created list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Mar 23 18:58:25 CET 2005

Charlie Summers wrote:

>   Can anyone point me to a "flowchart" of message flow though Mailman?

You could look at Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py, but thus doesn't
really show what I think you want - the part I think you're looking
for is compressed into

  joerandom ---> mylist ---> list members

Look in Defaults.py at the definition of GLOBAL_PIPELINE which defines
the flow through the various Mailman/Handlers/ modules.

>I'm particularly interested in when the ~/archives/private/<list>.mbox/<list>.mbox file is created, and when posts are written to it. Is it normal for a newly-created list _not_ to have that file created?

Yes, IIRC the directory is created with the list, but the file is not
created until it is needed.

>Is it normal for this file _not_ to exist even after a successful posting to the list? Is it normal for the post text to _only_ appear (based on grep -R) within the directury structure at ~/lists/<list>/digest.mbox and nowhere else?

Depending on list archiving and global archiving, maybe. Is archiving
turned on for the list? Is ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX set to 1 or 2? Default is 2
- see definitions in Defaults.py

If these things are all set for archiving to occur and the <list>.mbox
to be written, it's probably a group/permissions issue.

Have you looked at Mailman's 'error' log?