[Mailman-Users] convert text/html problem...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Mar 16 22:54:38 CET 2005

Dan Phillips wrote:

>HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND = 'LYNX_TEMP_SPACE=/tmp /usr/local/bin/lynx
>-force_html -dump %(filename)s'
>
>I changed it to that based on a thread on this list a couple years ago.
>I honestly don't remember know what the issue was at the time, but I
>may have had to install lynx from source. OS X 10.3 client doesn't have
>lynx installed, but I don't know about Server 10.3.

The thread can be found at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-January/025369.html
and
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-January/025381.html

I believe the original issue that required the use of
LYNX_TEMP_SPACE=/tmp was a Red Hat specific change to lynx. Also, the
-force_html option also should be unnecessary as the 'filename'
created by Mailman has a .html extension, but neither of these can
hurt.

There is another issue if the HTML passed to lynx is base64 or
quoted-printable encoded. See thread at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-July/038022.html