[Mailman-Users] feature request: archives in YYYY-MM format

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Mar 15 18:50:07 CET 2005

At 5:45 PM +0100 2005-03-15, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

>  is this the correct place to ask "feature requests" (i didn't dare to
>  go directly to mailman-dev)

	If you have a feature request, that should be filed on the
Mailman RFE page at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=350103>.

>  i have submitted a patch against 2.1.5 (i am using debian-packages, so
>  i didn't bothered to have the most recent version) at the sourceforge
>  RFE-tracker at
>http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1163610&group_id=103&atid=350103

	Patches should actually be submitted via the patch tracker at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=300103>.

>  do the developers of Mailman read these feature-requests on a regular basis ?

	Semi-regular, yes.

>  i am very interested in getting my patch into the release (using a
>  package-manager i have to be very careful to not "update" my patched
>  version with a newer (and bug-fixed, btw) package.)

	I can pretty much guarantee that this won't make it into the
upcoming 2.1.6 release.  That was under development for a while, but
with the recent security issues all further enhancement work for that
version has been stopped, and the focus has been on getting the
release cut as quickly as possible.

	Right now, I imagine that the hold up is translation -- Mailman
supports a very wide variety of languages out-of-the-box, and it may
take a while to get all the changes translated into all the supported
languages.

	If Tokio likes your patch, there's a good chance it may be
incorporated into a near-future version, otherwise he may have to
develop his own code based on your idea, etc....

	Generally speaking, if all you've got is an RFE, you should post
it on the page mentioned above, and one of the core developers will
get to it sooner or later.

	However, if you've got a patch, you can upload that and file an
RFE, and then talking about it on mailman-developers is likely to get
much quicker action.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755