[Mailman-Users] Bounce Processor total tailspin?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Tue Mar 15 16:29:11 CET 2005

We've now had several instances where for no reason the BounceProcsssor
runner gets totally stuck, uses all the RAM on the machine (1Gig...+1Gig
swap) and gets the machine to a state that makes it completely worthless.
Usually our monitoring pages us soon enough but today apparently verizon
paging wasn't working because we got nothing until it was basically way too
late.

We're running Mailman 2.1.5 from backports.org on debian woody (Python 2.2
.. exact version I'll have to look up later when i get the box rebooted).

The only way to shut it down is to kill -9 the bounce processor after kill
-9ing the controller.  Because even after a stop is isued and it shuts down
all the other processes it'll restart the bounce processor after you kill
-9 it and it goes right into a tailspin again until all mailman processes
are gone.

Any hints would be great, because this is getting to be a big problem here.

--
Undocumented Features quote of the moment...
"It's not the one bullet with your name on it that you