[Mailman-Users] sender bounce line?

dave at umiacs.umd.edu dave at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Mar 7 19:41:33 CET 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> dave at umiacs.umd.edu wrote:
>
>> We have a list that appears to be filtered by recipients at verizon.
>> Specifically, they can post but never receive and are ultimately
>> unsubscribed due to bounces.  mailman logs look otherwise normal.
>> The theory is that the line:
>>
>> Sender:LISTNAME-bounces at ourdomain.com
>>
>> triggers filtering by verizon which sounds bogus to me. More likely, it's
>> the users MUA as defined in
>>   http://www.washington.edu/computing/mailman/faqs/mailman.header.html
>
> I don't think it's the MUA. MUA filters don't usually result in bounces.

Probably correct as this is happening exclusive and to all verizon people
on a bunch of our lists

> The users could try "whitelisting" LISTNAME-bounces at ourdomain.com if
> verizon offers such an option. If it is the MUA, adding the address to
> the MUA's address book may help.
>
> Can the users receive other (non-list) mail from ourdomain.com?

Yes, indicating some MM header is the problem but I have no other
info and I can't get anything useful out of telnetting to port 25
and writing raw smtp commands so I'm gonna punt. It's gotta be the
remote end of which I have no control so I sent the problem description
to postmaster at sucky.verizon.net as well as the DNS email for verizon's SOA.

  David Stern                                    University of Maryland
            Institute for Advanced Computer Studies