[Mailman-Users] Large list import

lists at southernohio.net lists at southernohio.net
Sun Mar 6 06:07:17 CET 2005

Fortunately this person wants the list to be completely moderated so
that there will not be back and forth traffice, just outbound.  Will
this help matters and make it snappy enough?  Oh, I just read the rest
of your message!  :)  It appears that it truly is handling things
inefficiently in the list subscriber IO.  Wow, this is a real problem.
What should I do?  Are there other solutions that are better than
Mailman for this?  Not quite sure what you mean by the umbrella/sub
list approach.

Thanks for the heads up!

--On Saturday, March 05, 2005 11:35 PM -0500 lists at southernohio.net
wrote:

> I've got a list of a couple hundred thousand subscribers that I need
> mass subscribe, however the file upload import keeps returning an
> "internal error."  Is there a better way to do this, such as uploading
> the lists to the server manually and cat'ing it onto the end of some
> sort
> of store that Mailman uses?

YEah there are CLI tools to do the additions but I dont' think you'll
want to do this...

At ~15k subscribers on a list we have it's pudgy and slow, it'd be
unusuable at 200k.  Mailman rewrites the entire config.pck/list config
file for every add/remove/change on a list.  Very inefficient, very
unscaleable.

I'm poking around at the code lately deciding if I'll tackle the job of
fixing that or not...but until then you might want to do something with
a sort of umbrella/sub list approach.