[Mailman-Users] Large list import

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sun Mar 6 05:53:51 CET 2005

--On Saturday, March 05, 2005 11:35 PM -0500 lists at southernohio.net wrote:

> I've got a list of a couple hundred thousand subscribers that I need to
> mass subscribe, however the file upload import keeps returning an
> "internal error."  Is there a better way to do this, such as uploading
> the lists to the server manually and cat'ing it onto the end of some sort
> of store that Mailman uses?

YEah there are CLI tools to do the additions but I dont' think you'll want
to do this...

At ~15k subscribers on a list we have it's pudgy and slow, it'd be
unusuable at 200k.  Mailman rewrites the entire config.pck/list config file
for every add/remove/change on a list.  Very inefficient, very unscaleable.

I'm poking around at the code lately deciding if I'll tackle the job of
fixing that or not...but until then you might want to do something with a
sort of umbrella/sub list approach.