[Mailman-Users] Administrative notices

George Booth G.Booth at usm.edu
Fri Mar 4 15:39:22 CET 2005

For accreditation reasons, we are setting up automated lists for the
colleges of our university. Since we were using Mailman already, we set up a
seperate server, and scripts automatically create/delete lists based on
automated data that comes from our PeopleSoft database. These lists are set
up as announcement-only lists, so only specified people are able to send
email. The Dean of each college is defaulted as the owner of the list for
that college, but since we put this into Beta to test it, they've been
receiving unwanted notifications that pending messages are awaiting
approval, although there are no messages there. Now, we've created and blown
away lists several times testing this, and we're thinking maybe some spam
had tried coming through during one of the incarnations of the lists, but
when the lists were destroyed, that the data was destroyed as well...but
Mailman doesn't see it that way, and even though there are no messages
pending approval, the software is still sending daily notices that there are
some out there.

These pending messages would be kept in the data directory under the mailman
directory, correct? Is there any other place these messages might be kept
that we're overlooking? And is there any way to tell Mailman to stop sending
notifications for pending messages that don't exist? :)

Thanks,

George

George Booth     iTech System Administrator
G.Booth at usm.edu
University of Southern Mississippi