[Mailman-Users] mailman complaining about script permissions after running normally for a period...

it support it-support at stthomaschurch.org.uk
Fri Mar 4 12:12:37 CET 2005

Hi,

I've had mailman running quite happily for a period of time on a redhat
9 machine and made sure that when I set it up that the groups were all
correct and for a few weeks messages were going out to the list. Then,
periodically (every few weeks) I get the following message in the logs
and mail is not delivered.

Mar  4 10:46:42 david postfix/local[31297]: 01DE533DC8:
to=<noticesp at david>, orig_to=<noticesp at david>, relay=local, delay=27,
status=bounced (Command died with status 2:
"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post noticesp". Command output: Group
mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed
as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
script as group "nobody".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command
line option `--with-mail-gid=nobody'. )

I've tracked down the problem to the ownership of the files are
changing. No longer are they being owned by mailman, but by root. I can
fix the problem by resetting the ownership of the files to mailman and
re-running check_perms -f to fix any stray permissions, but its
frustrating for the list users who have to wait for this to be done.

I've checked the cron scripts on the machine and can't see anything that
would affect the files in that part of the file system.

Has anyone else seen this problem and do they know the cause of it?

Jason

dangerous content and is believed to be clean.