[Mailman-Users] 2.1.5 fedora core 3 prevent mailbody problem

Andy Heath cycling at axelrod.plus.com
Mon Jun 13 19:37:15 CEST 2005

Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Andy Heath wrote:
>
>>they don't show as fails at all.  What appears to happen is
>>mailman keeps trying to send the mail and succeeding
>>but it keeps doing it again and again.  Meanwhile no
>>mail leaves, it just sits in the spool dir.
>

> What spool directory? The MTA's?

No.  Fedora has its own ideas about where the components
of mailman should live and its broken up all over and the
code a tiny bit modified to facilitate that - some
in /usr/lib, some in /var/lib, some in /var/spool, some
in /etc.  Its a pain to work with.

In /var/spool there is a mailman directory with these sub directories.
I presumed they were normally in the /home/mailman

archive  bounces  commands  in  news  out  retry  shunt  virgin

They are not the usual sendmail queues, its before that
stage.

>>The data directory fills up with .pck files and directories in
>>the spool dir fill up with mail files.  I was testing with
>>only one member, one administrator and one or two mails
>>so the looping was obvious.  Some boundary condition is
>>failing in the code.
>

> What is happening is the message is detected as spam and a notise is
> sent to the listname-owner address with subject "%(listname)s post
> from %(sender)s requires approval" with the appropriate substitutions
> for %(listname)s and %(sender)s.
>
> Since this subject matches .*[spam].*, the message to the owner is
> identified as spam and the whole thing goes again.

Not sure I understand you.  It doesn't get as far as the usual
sendmail queues.  How does the subject get parsed twice ?

> The solution is to not use regexps which will match the subject of the
> owner notification or, since this is not completely under your
> control, remove 'SpamDetect' from OWNER_PIPELINE, i.e. put
>
> # This is the pipeline which messages sent to the -owner address go
> through
> OWNER_PIPELINE = [
> #   'SpamDetect',
>     'Replybot',
>     'OwnerRecips',
>     'ToOutgoing',
>     ]
>
> im mm_cfg.py.
>

> As far as not including the message body in the notice because of its
> getting caught in external to Mailman spam filters is concerned, short
> of hacking the code or not sending the immediate notifications,
> there's not much you can do. You can submit an RFE at
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=350103

Thanks I will.  The madness is that having recieved spam
the last sensible thing to do is post it out again :-).

Cheers

andy

> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,