[Mailman-Users] 2.1.5 fedora core 3 prevent mailbody problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jun 13 18:45:34 CEST 2005

Andy Heath wrote:

>they don't show as fails at all.  What appears to happen is
>mailman keeps trying to send the mail and succeeding
>but it keeps doing it again and again.  Meanwhile no
>mail leaves, it just sits in the spool dir.

What spool directory? The MTA's?

>The data directory fills up with .pck files and directories in
>the spool dir fill up with mail files.  I was testing with
>only one member, one administrator and one or two mails
>so the looping was obvious.  Some boundary condition is
>failing in the code.

What is happening is the message is detected as spam and a notise is
sent to the listname-owner address with subject "%(listname)s post
from %(sender)s requires approval" with the appropriate substitutions
for %(listname)s and %(sender)s.

Since this subject matches .*[spam].*, the message to the owner is
identified as spam and the whole thing goes again.

The solution is to not use regexps which will match the subject of the
owner notification or, since this is not completely under your
control, remove 'SpamDetect' from OWNER_PIPELINE, i.e. put

# This is the pipeline which messages sent to the -owner address go
through
OWNER_PIPELINE = [
#   'SpamDetect',
    'Replybot',
    'OwnerRecips',
    'ToOutgoing',
    ]

im mm_cfg.py.

As far as not including the message body in the notice because of its
getting caught in external to Mailman spam filters is concerned, short
of hacking the code or not sending the immediate notifications,
there's not much you can do. You can submit an RFE at