[Mailman-Users] SMTPDirect issues (Name or service not known)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jun 11 16:20:11 CEST 2005

Meike Aulbach wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:35:39AM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>     def __connect(self):
>>         self.__conn = smtplib.SMTP()
>>         syslog('smtp-failure', 'host = %s, port = %s',
>>                mm_cfg.SMTPHOST, mm_cfg.SMTPPORT)
>>         x = self.__conn.connect(mm_cfg.SMTPHOST, mm_cfg.SMTPPORT)
>>         syslog('smtp-failure', 'connect returns: %s', x)
>>         self.__numsessions = mm_cfg.SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION
>
>I put this code in SMTPDirect.py, and now I get _no_ more messages at
>all to the smtp-failure logfile.

Are you still getting the smtp-failure message you originally reported,
namely one like

    Jun 09 22:00:35 2005 (32666) delivery to xxx at zzzz.net failed with
    code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')

If so, all this means is that the error occurs in

         self.__conn = smtplib.SMTP()

before any of the added logging.

>Mails are not delivered though (I
>get the exim-error mails from Mailer Daemon).

I don't think you mentioned this before. Has something changed? Are you
now getting mail to exim and rejected by exim? What does the reject
from exim say?

>I commented out the syslog lines in SMTPDirect.py and still get no
>more messages to the smtp-failure logfile. Only the qrunner logfile
>shows activity. It seems to me that my changes to the python
>code somehow are not regarded even though I do a mailman-restart
>every time I change something.

Do you get anything in Mailman's 'smtp' log?

Does the time stamp change on SMTPDirect.pyc and SMTPDirect.pyo if any?
If not, try just removing them.

>I also restarted syslog.

The 'syslog' calls in SMTPDirect.py call Mailman's own syslog, not the
system one (yet).