[Mailman-Users] Moderator Notifications Being Discarded

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 9 16:42:28 CEST 2005

Andrew Klein wrote:

>I have a list where moderator notifications appear to be discarded.  I
>have confirmed admin_immed_notify is turned on.  I have tried it with
>different moderator addresses.  I believe the 'vette' log is telling me
>that the message is being discarded.  I have debugged the source code in
>Queue/IncomingRunner.py and can kind of see what is going on.  The
>DiscardMessage exception is getting thrown somewhere but I cannot figure
>out why or where.  Anyone have a clue on this or how to debug it?  I am
>happy to mess with the source code to narrow it down.

Try sending an e-mail to listname-owner at ... and see what happens to
that.

Owner notification is a two step process. The notice is created for
listname-owner and placed in the virgin queue where it is picked up
and sent to listname-owner and treated as any other message sent to
the listname-owner address.

Sending your own mail to listname-owner will at least tell you whether
the mail is lost in the first or second step. If everything is normal,
there are two entries in the 'smtp' log for the notice - one (with one
recipient) when it is sent to listname-owner and one with n recipients
when it is sent to the n owners/moderators.

If mail to listname-owner doesn't work, check the alias.