[Mailman-Users] First-time poster...

Bill Landry billl at inetmsg.com
Tue Jun 7 01:10:32 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Dennis" <jdennis at redhat.com>

> On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 13:00 -0700, Bill Landry wrote:
>
> O.K. the other things I suggested you check all seem fine.
>
>> > Is mailman in /etc/shadow on the machine
>> > postfix is running on?
>>
>> grep mailman /etc/shadow
>> mailman:!!:12327::::::
>
> Actually /etc/passwd maybe more relevant in this instance. If postfix
> does not have permission to read /etc/passwd it's look up is going to
> fail (a non-readable /etc/group may also provoke this). Recall that
> postfix typically does not run as root for very good reasons. What
> postfix runs as is configurable. You want to make sure whatever user
> postfix is running as has permission to read these /etc files. Also
> typically /etc/passwd and /etc/group are readable by everybody. The only
> other thing I can think of for you to check is to assure /etc/passwd
> and /etc/group are readable by the postfix process.
>
> Short of that the only other things I can think of would be to strace
> (assuming you're on a system with strace, e.g. Linux) the postfix
> process and seeing where the failure occurs and/or to look at the
> postfix code that performs the lookup and see exactly what c lib
> functions it's calling and what triggers it to return a failure.

This appears to be the standard across all of my RedHat 9/Postfix and Fedora
Core3/Postfix servers:

ls -l /etc/passwd
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 2172 Jun  6 09:16 /etc/passwd
ls -l /etc/group
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 974 Jun  6 13:34 /etc/group

My other Postfix servers are function properly, and they all run as
"mail_owner = postfix", including this particular Mailman server, so I am
still a bit baffled by this one.

Bill