[Mailman-Users] First-time poster...

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Jun 7 00:15:27 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 13:00 -0700, Bill Landry wrote:

O.K. the other things I suggested you check all seem fine.

> > Is mailman in /etc/shadow on the machine
> > postfix is running on?
>
> grep mailman /etc/shadow
> mailman:!!:12327::::::

Actually /etc/passwd maybe more relevant in this instance. If postfix
does not have permission to read /etc/passwd it's look up is going to
fail (a non-readable /etc/group may also provoke this). Recall that
postfix typically does not run as root for very good reasons. What
postfix runs as is configurable. You want to make sure whatever user
postfix is running as has permission to read these /etc files. Also
typically /etc/passwd and /etc/group are readable by everybody. The only
other thing I can think of for you to check is to assure /etc/passwd
and /etc/group are readable by the postfix process.

Short of that the only other things I can think of would be to strace
(assuming you're on a system with strace, e.g. Linux) the postfix
process and seeing where the failure occurs and/or to look at the
postfix code that performs the lookup and see exactly what c lib
functions it's calling and what triggers it to return a failure.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>