[Mailman-Users] First-time poster...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jun 6 20:46:20 CEST 2005

Bill Landry wrote:

>I change the aliases.db to be group writeable, and even tried setting the
>ownership to root:mailman, but "bin/check_perms" did not like that and set
>the permission back to mailman:mailman.  The aliase* files now look like
>(with no bin/check_perms issues reported):
>
>-rw-rw-r--  1 mailman mailman 107000 Jun  6 08:59 aliases
>-rw-rw-r--  1 mailman mailman 167936 Jun  6 08:59 aliases.db
>
>but I am still seeing the same problem reported in the maillog:
>
>Jun  6 10:52:07 lists postfix/local[20108]: warning: cannot find alias
>database owner for hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases(0,34100)

What happens if you leave the ownership as root:mailman in spite of
check_perms?

Have you followed the Postfix setup instructions at for example
http://mailman.sourceforge.net/mailman-install/node12.html (mirrors at
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node12.html and
http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html

In any case, this appears to be a postfix configuration issue. A google
search for "cannot find alias database owner" turns up two links to a
postfix module alias.c, the relevant piece of which is:

    /*
     * DELIVERY RIGHTS
     *
     * What rights to use for |command and /file/name deliveries? The
     * command and file code will use default rights when the alias
     * database is owned by root, otherwise it will use the rights of
     * the alias database owner.
     */
    if ((alias_uid = dict_owner(*cpp)) == 0) {
	alias_pwd = 0;
	RESET_USER_ATTR(usr_attr, state.level);
    } else {
	if ((alias_pwd = mypwuid(alias_uid)) == 0) {
	    msg_warn("cannot find alias database owner for %s", *cpp);
	    *statusp = defer_append(BOUNCE_FLAG_KEEP,
				    BOUNCE_ATTR(state.msg_attr),
				"cannot find alias database owner");
	    return (YES);
	}
	SET_USER_ATTR(usr_attr, alias_pwd, state.level);
    }