[Mailman-Users] First-time poster...

Bill Landry billl at inetmsg.com
Mon Jun 6 19:57:07 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net>

> >I have setup a list server running on Fedora Core 2, with Postfix 2.2.3,
> >Mailman 2.1.5, and Python 2.3.4.  I think I followed the Mailman setup
> >and
> >configuration guidelines correctly, but am having a problem that I cannot
> >find resolution to via google nor by a search of the Mailman list
> >archives.
> >
> >When sending a message to a test list, the message sits in the queue and
>
> Postfix queue?

Yes.

> >Postfix reports in the maillog:
> >
> >Jun  6 09:04:55 lists postfix/qmgr[19892]: E16EA6FE2C:
> >from=<test-bounces at lists.siemensmedical.com>, size=1215, nrcpt=1 (queue
> >active)
>
> This looks like mailman has received the post and is trying to notify
> the owner/moderator (or maybe deliver the post if there is only one
> recipient). Listname-bounces is the usual envelope sender for messages
> from Mailman.
>
> >Jun  6 09:04:55 lists postfix/local[19915]: warning: cannot find alias
> >database owner for hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases(0,34100)
>
> I don't know postfix and am not sure what this means.
>
> >The permissions on the aliases* files are:
> >
> >ls -l /usr/local/mailman/data/alias*
> >-rw-rw----  1 mailman mailman 107000 Jun  6 08:59 aliases
> >-rw-r-----  1 mailman mailman 167936 Jun  6 08:59 aliases.db
>
> aliases.db should be group writable and I think is normally owned by
> root which may relate to the above log message.

I change the aliases.db to be group writeable, and even tried setting the
ownership to root:mailman, but "bin/check_perms" did not like that and set
the permission back to mailman:mailman.  The aliase* files now look like
(with no bin/check_perms issues reported):

-rw-rw-r--  1 mailman mailman 107000 Jun  6 08:59 aliases
-rw-rw-r--  1 mailman mailman 167936 Jun  6 08:59 aliases.db

but I am still seeing the same problem reported in the maillog:

Jun  6 10:52:07 lists postfix/local[20108]: warning: cannot find alias
database owner for hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases(0,34100)

Any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions...?

Thanks,

Bill