[Mailman-Users] Outbound smtp email problems (qmail problems)

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Mon Jun 6 02:31:17 CEST 2005

For those who may have been tracking this saga:

My Mailman-SMTP problems stemmed from my non-root system accounts having no
ability to resolve localhost to my machines IP address...because there was
no non-root read permission set for /etc/hosts.  (My 'telnet localhost 25'
tests were all previously run from the root account, and as soon as I
finally ran it from a non-root account, then the problem root cause finally
reared its simple, little, ugly head.)

Yes, this is a terribly disgusting thing to learn that I spent so much
blood, sweat, and tears on such a silly system flaw.

-Matt