[Mailman-Users] how can moderators automatically subscribe users?

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Fri Jun 3 14:18:22 CEST 2005

On 6/2/05 8:39 PM, "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

> Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
>>
>> I know that via the web interface this is quite easy. However, I have a need
>> to be able to subscribe users via email commands, without the user being
>> subscribed getting a confirmation email. In other words, someone asks to be
>> inserted into the list, and then an email is sent with the subscribe command
>> in it.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>
> I think that as long as subscribe_policy includes confirm, the
> subscribee will always receive a confirm e-mail from a subscribe (or
> join) e-mail command.
>
> This is at least in part because it's so easy to send a subscribe
> command for someone else. I've looked at the code, and I don't see
> that Approved: headers are handled in e-mail command processing. It's
> generally assumed that the list admin will use the web interface.

As an RFE, allowing Approved: headers in this context would be a good thing
to ask for.

Adjusting the Python code to do so and offering a patch against Mailman
2.1.6 would also be feasible, if it matches Ricardo's talents or those of
someone he enlists.

It may also be that Mailman in the 2.x form isn't the right tool to use for
solving Ricardo's problem.

Mailman was built to be web-interface driven in part because lots of
MajorDomo, LISTSERV, and others were tired of having to do things by email
command (including me).  And tired of waiting for the ever-receding
MajorDomo 2.  The email commands which are there are there basically so that
list users could keep doing things the familiar way when their list was
moved to Mailman.  [I wasn't around during Mailman's early days--we first
installed 2.0.6--I'm reading between the lines in writing this paragraph.]

  --John