[Mailman-Users] Rewriting Headers in 2.1.5

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jul 25 16:18:52 CEST 2005

Cogley, Rick wrote:

>Here is a specific scenario along with the mail headers of the "rejected"
>mail sent by the tracking system:
>
>* John Doe <some-unregistered-user at acme.com> sends an email address to
>acme-support at domainofmine.net which is the address my group has provided
>Acme to use for sending support requests to.
>
>* acme-support at domainofmine.net is the alias in my Mailman system which maps
>to the [acme-support] Mailman list.
>
>* The tracking system's address track at domainofmine.net is a member of the
>[acme-support] list.
>
>* Mails come in from some-unregistered-user at acme.com, via [acme-support],
>which distributes to track at domainofmine.net. The tracking system tries to
>process the mail, finds no user matching "some-unregistered-user at acme.com"
>and so sends it to the email address I set as the "reject" email address -
>acct-not-found at domainofmine.net.
>
>* Currently, acct-not-found@ is a normal email box, and here is a test mail
>message from the unknown user, and its headers:
>
>=============================8<==============================
>Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:37:18 +0900 (JST)
>From: John Doe <some-unregistered-user at acme.com>
>To: "acct-not-found at domainofmine.net" <acct-not-found at domainofmine.net>
>Subject: Forwarded from  acme-support at domainofmine.net: [acme-support] Test
>from
> account unregistered in Tracking System
>
>[-- Attachment #1 --]
>[-- Type: message/rfc822, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 2.2K --]

>Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:36:17 +0900
>From: John Doe <some-unregistered-user at acme.com>
>To: acme-support at domainofmine.net
>Subject: [acme-support] Test from account unregistered in Tracking System
>
>Test from account unregistered in Tracking System
>
>===========================8<============================
>
>My questions are, is this even the right approach, and, will it work given
>the header above which is what comes out of the tracking system? Can I go:
>
>unknownuser -> support Mailman list -> tracking system email ->
>rejected-as-unknown -> tracking system email
>Or, for instance:
>unknownuser -> support Mailman list -> tracking system email ->
>rejected-as-unknown -> another-list ->tracking system email
>
>... and rewrite the headers somehow after the "rejected as unknown" step? If
>so, could someone please direct me as to what I should be doing?

Make the "another-list" list anonymous. Then the From: address in the
message it sends back to the tracking system will be the address of
the list which can be a registered user in the tracking system. The
original submitter is still available in the From: header of the
attached message.

Alternatively, if you can make the tracking system validate on envelope
sender, you only need to register
another-list-bounces at domainofmine.net as a user in the tracking
system. Note that if you can do this, you might also be able to have
the rejected-as-unknown mail go directly back to the tracking system
depending on what the envelope sender of the rejected-as-unknown mail
is.