[Mailman-Users] Rewriting Headers in 2.1.5

Cogley, Rick rick.cogley at esolia.co.jp
Sun Jul 24 23:21:34 CEST 2005

Hello everyone -

I'm hoping someone more experienced than I can assist me. After a couple of
weeks working with the system I now understand the basic workings of Mailman
2.1.5 (loaded on Fedora Core 4 via RPM), but am hitting a wall with nested
or umbrella lists, and I suppose some specific settings.

I am using Mailman to feed mails into an issue tracking system, which can
sort into its folders based on the subject. If my tracking system receives a
message from Mailman with a [somelist] tag, it will find the folder that is
set up with an import rule to recognize the string "[somelist]" and import.
There's a catch: this is only for registered users, as an anti-spam measure.
When the tracking system cannot import, it can be set to reject incoming
mail messages by forwarding them to another email address.

I have created a user in the tracking system to act as a proxy user, or a
dummy user, for emails that come in from unknown / unregistered users. I
would like to have Mailman receive the "reject" mails, and then reroute back
into the tracking system making it look like the mail came from the proxy
user - a known user in the tracking system. Then, support people using the
tracking system can look at the mails in the "unknowns" folder, act on them,
and create tracking system accounts or whatever else is needed. I'll handle
incoming spam at the mail server level.

>From what I read, it seems like this should be possible with umbrella lists
or some settings in Mailman, but I keep getting loops between the tracking
system and Mailman.

Here is a specific scenario along with the mail headers of the "rejected"
mail sent by the tracking system:

* John Doe <some-unregistered-user at acme.com> sends an email address to
acme-support at domainofmine.net which is the address my group has provided
Acme to use for sending support requests to.

* acme-support at domainofmine.net is the alias in my Mailman system which maps
to the [acme-support] Mailman list.

* The tracking system's address track at domainofmine.net is a member of the
[acme-support] list.

* Mails come in from some-unregistered-user at acme.com, via [acme-support],
which distributes to track at domainofmine.net. The tracking system tries to
process the mail, finds no user matching "some-unregistered-user at acme.com"
and so sends it to the email address I set as the "reject" email address -
acct-not-found at domainofmine.net.

* Currently, acct-not-found@ is a normal email box, and here is a test mail
message from the unknown user, and its headers:

=============================8<==============================
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:37:18 +0900 (JST)
From: John Doe <some-unregistered-user at acme.com>
To: "acct-not-found at domainofmine.net" <acct-not-found at domainofmine.net>
Subject: Forwarded from  acme-support at domainofmine.net: [acme-support] Test
from
 account unregistered in Tracking System

[-- Attachment #1 --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 2.2K --]

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:36:17 +0900
From: John Doe <some-unregistered-user at acme.com>
To: acme-support at domainofmine.net
Subject: [acme-support] Test from account unregistered in Tracking System

Test from account unregistered in Tracking System

===========================8<============================

My questions are, is this even the right approach, and, will it work given
the header above which is what comes out of the tracking system? Can I go:

unknownuser -> support Mailman list -> tracking system email ->
rejected-as-unknown -> tracking system email
Or, for instance:
unknownuser -> support Mailman list -> tracking system email ->
rejected-as-unknown -> another-list ->tracking system email

... and rewrite the headers somehow after the "rejected as unknown" step? If
so, could someone please direct me as to what I should be doing?

Thanks very much for your kind consideration on this problem, and any advice
provided!

Sincerely,
Rick Cogley
Tokyo, Japan

Rick Cogley (rick.cogley at esolia.co.jp)

Tel: 03-5940-6880 | Fax: 03-5940-6881 | Cell: 090-4423-5475
(Outside Japan, remove leading zero-+81-3-5940-6880)
English: www.esolia.com <http://www.esolia.com/>  | Japanese:
www.esolia.co.jp <http://www.esolia.co.jp/>

Bilingual IT solutions and management firm-eSolia.